I went to SF and I made dinner. Not at the same time.
I'm finding it harder and harder to come up with good post titles. Since all my posts are just "stuff I do" it's difficult, after 3 years of this blog, to have a unique title for a post about what I did this weekend.Friday night I took our employee from Malaysia out to SF. I am the worst tour guide ever! I kept thinking about how Katie and Quyen would mock me if they knew what a bad job I did! Katie, because she lived in SF, and Quyen because she's been to SF less than me, but I'm still pretty sure she would have done a better job! Let's just say that we ate at not great restaurant that wasn't on Fisherman's Wharf, even though I thought it was! I was so confused. Later, when we found Fisherman's Wharf and the correct restaurant, we laughed, but it was still embarrassing. However, Ghirardelli ice cream was awesome, and even I couldn't mess that up. Sam, the guy I was with, was so excited to finally have an ice cream sundae in America. To him, that was the true US experience. I was very happy to take Sam on a trip to SF because when I was in Kuala Lumpur, he took me out on the town and showed me how he sees his home town.
On Saturday, I went to the farmer's market in Berkeley FINALLY and bought: Pancetta, two onions and a butternut squash. Thank goodness I found a recipe that actually uses all three! Katherine and David agreed to come over and eat what I cooked.
First, we had our shot glasses out for before dinner drinks. I think our shot glasses say a lot about us. And Kevin, if you read my blog still, you'll notice certain shot glasses you gave me awhile ago, and we still drink out of them and laugh about them!
I set the table... which I had to pull out from behind some furniture. We normally don't have a table. This is how you can tell it was a fancy dinner!
For once, I was happy Katherine and David were late because one of them items I cooked took about 3 hours, and I only had about 2.5 hours to prepare it. I hate it when the first step of a recipe is "roast the garlic for 1 hour." For appetizers, we had raspberries and "zucchini chips". The chips were baked, and were really good, but they did not have the consistency of chips. The raspberries were random.
For dinner, I made my mom's Moroccan chicken....
... and butternut squash cassoulet.
They were both really good! I always make two main dishes in case one of them sucks. :)
Katherine made Princess Cake for dessert. It too was awesome and professional looking!
Then, we played Wii.

6 Comments:
Didn't I tell you to go to Alegrias? You really have to try it.
Anyway, can I get your recipe for zucchini chips? I'm still getting zucchini from my garden and I'm in need of a new recipe.
One day we should get together and you can bring your Buffy and Angel shot glasses, and we can bring our Firefly shot glasses, and it will be a big old Joss Whedon geekfest. Of course it will be a long time before I can drink anything actually alcoholic out of them, but you know ... :)
Next time I'll give you advice for the whirlwind tour that Neal developed. It involves driving in the city, but the goal is to get pictures at every landmark within 4hours, then eat. It tires people out well enough and confuses them so they don't ask questions or realize when you're lost. I took Ashley and her friend when they were here and even I succeeded.
I am very confused about the princess cake, either you or katherine will have to explain it to me.
Oh, and totally randomly, I had a dream about us going to a Ben Folds concert. You had to cash in enough frequent flier miles to go, but he performed all the songs on BFL with this cool mountain/waterfall disney backdrop, and waltzed with a flamenco dancer who was his new girlfriend during the Luckiest (I don't know how he kept playing the piano), and sometimes he would swoop over us on a skilift, and we were all on skis too, and we were sitting in a row with Devin and Chrissy and Dorcas and everyone we know who went to Stanford, and apparently I was next to Miss H the Hewlett Packard heir but Chrissy told me to play it cool and before the 2nd encore you and I went out to the lobby and got chocolate covered gummi bears to snack on.
Princess Cake:
http://www.peterandrewryan.com/baking/2008/07/princess-cake-or-a-cake-for-a-princess/
Also at IKEA!
hehe. Lots of recipe requests. Can I get the recipe for the squash cassolet? :)
Katherine - that dream is GREAT. I wish I remembered dreams like that!
Post a Comment
<< Home