Sunday, August 24, 2008

Jessica's Wedding

I was so excited to attend Jessica's wedding. A little nervous too, since I didn't know if I wouldn't know anyone there besides the bride and Ravi, who I knew was coming. I was also totally confused by the directions! There was no street address! How are we supposed to get to a wedding without a street address?

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Jessica and I became friends in high school through Mock Trial, her senior year, my junior year. She then went to college at Scripps, which is next door to Pomona. Sometimes we'd cross paths on 6th St in Claremont: me coming out of the Chemistry building, her walking back to Scripps from the Languages buildings.

Jessica and her fiance Jacques met 17 months earlier, and were getting married on the 17th. There is a long story to their first meeting, which was brought to you by the letter Q, but I don't know how much Jessica wants me sharing of her personal history on my blog. Then again, I am posting pictures from the wedding... but actually, there were tourists also taking picture of her wedding, and she didn't have a problem with it, so I think I'm OK. :)

Getting ready for the wedding was an adventure. First, I figured out where the wedding was from their wedding website, and then decided to google it to so I could see where we were going. Turns out, it was in the North West corner of Golden Gate park, and very easy to get to. I was a little concerned when her website said " Park near the enormous windmill on your right." I was kind of like... uh.. does the windmill have an address? Is it near a cross street? So I did google street view, and realized, yes, you could TOTALLY see the windmill from the street. It was awesome when we finally got there.
The wedding was right next to the windmill, in a beautiful little area that had tables and chairs set up for the wedding.

Seriously, they didn't really need to spend money on flowers! Here is Nemanja, sitting down, waiting for the ceremony to start. The ceremony was really personally. Jessica and Jacques walked each other to the ceremony from behind the windmill, and then they had a friend perform the ceremony. They wrote their own vows, which were not only loving and caring, but humorous. In fact, I would love a copy of their vows when exchanges rings. "A counterweight for a tiny elevator."

After the ceremony, the bride and groom took pictures with their family, while the rest of us ate. I was lucky to get to spend time with some of the ol' gang.
It always amazing me that how when we are all in a good mood, we all start talking like we saw each other yesterday. It is as if we have both forgotten and honored the past. Is that too much to write? That might be too much.

Jessica floated around the wedding, obviously wanting to talk to everyone, but not knowing where to start. She looked really happy though.

Another cool personal touch was the ukulele player at the reception.


I was worried Nemanja would be bored while I chatted with the "high school friends", but it turns out Nemanja and Dushenka got along really well. Dushenka went to Scripps with Jessica, and I remembered her from college.

Instead of a cake, they had a cupcake tower. With many different kinds of cupcakes.

After they fed each other cupcakes, I think they tried to sneak off to eat them together. It's hard to sneak around though when you are the bride and groom.
Nemanja and I took pictures in the pretty location that was their wedding site.


Somehow, we managed to grab everyone for a picture (Colin was there too!). Literally, we had to grab everyone. Especially Ravi, as he went after the Vegan cupcakes, which looked really good.

Anyway, we've come a long way, but it's nice to see everyone together and happy and celebrating Jessica and Jacques.
I want to write they are lucky to have found each other, but that makes it sound like they would have been unlucky in life had they not. Really, it's just that I can see that they make each other so happy that wow, it's just a happy thing. Being with someone who knows you are understands you AND still likes you is really great.







1 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Margaret said...

Oh thank you for posting about Jessica's wedding! I had really been hoping to go, but it was just not possible for us. I'm glad to see that everything went so well. It looks like it was a beautiful day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home