Saturday, May 03, 2008

Europe April 2008


Me with the Eiffel Tower



What a great trip. I missed Nemanja a lot, but I did finally get my 3 weeks in Europe that I've been dreaming about ever since my job started making me travel. I never studied abroad, or backpacked through Europe when I was younger, so this was my supplement for missing out on that. It certainly was much cheaper, since my company paid for most of everything.


I went to Luzerne, Switzerland, Brussels, Belgium and all over France. Let me share some images from my trip.



Luzerne wins for most jam-packed fun. I landed in Zurich, took the train, and made it to the hotel by 8pm on Saturday. Of course, this is when my co-workers and host were just getting ready to eat dinner, since it was 8pm, and we were in Europe. I ran upstairs, dropped off my luggage, changed, and was ready to eat at 8:10 pm. Sure, I was soooooo jet lagged I couldn't remember if I was in Sweden or Switzerland, but so what?


We went to a fantastic restaurant on a boat on the water. My food was soooo good. It even had a flower on it. I highly recommend traveling with the VP of sales. They know how to spend money!


All dinners lasted for 3 hours while we were in Luzerne. It was hard work, but someone had to do it.


Speaking of food: I have a new favorite place to get coffee. Switzerland. Here is the best cappuccino. I love how coffee in Europe is always served with a piece of chocolate.

Luzerne, the town, was so beautiful. It felt like an ancient small town, tucked away near the Alps.



The best moment of Luzerne, though, was when I woke up Sunday morning, and it was totally snowing!!! It was like magic. That day, we drove to go up Mt. Titlis, which was fantastic, even though you could hardly see 3 feet in front of you because it was snowing so hard.

I was so excited to be in the Alps. I even asked someone "are we in the Alps?" to be sure. I am a highly entertaining travel companion, let me tell you.

They also had a glacier on the mountain, so we went in it. It was freakin' cold on the moutain. Snow is so cold! I was just so happy to see giant snowflakes falling. It was amazing.



Beautiful lake Luzerne. After our first day of meetings, I ran out of the hotel as soon as we concluded the day so I could walk around the lake.

Yay Switzerland!
Of course, I also did a lot of work while I was in Luzerne. We had our European sales meeting,where I listened to the trials of our sales team for two days. They are a great bunch, and so much fun to hang out with. Everyone was highly entertained by my obsession with Kinder eggs.

After the sales meeting, I jetted off to Brussels. Unfortunately, it wasn't that exciting in Brussels because I was staying really in the outskirts of the city, and didn't really plan anything for my one day off. The highlight of my trip? The Belgian waffle. It was the best thing I ever tasted. It was sooo sweet, but in a good way. This is a picture of me eating it. Apparently a highlight of Brussels is this peeing boy fountain. Apparently, people like to dress him up. Here he is at the karate kid.
Then I moved on to France. France was amazing. Really once you enter the country and are near Paris, you'll find the only thing you are thinking about is "when will I see the Eiffel tower?"


The moment when I saw it, honestly, was awesome. I was in Monmartre, in front of the Sacré Cœur. I turned around to see the view, and there it was.


It was so tall! It really took my breath away to see it in person for the first time. And it was just so much bigger than everything else, that I was in awe.





The French are obsessed with baguettes, it's true. Here is me carrying one.


For my birthday, I went to the Louvre. Ever since I read the DaVinci code, I've wanted to see the glass pyramid. So seeing it was amazing.

First, I saw it through an arch. I was so excited to catch my first glimps of it!




My new favorite thing to take pictures on rivers. Here is me on the Seine. This picture was taken during a sunset walk along the river, which was one of my favorite moments in Paris.

During my sunset walk, I also saw Notre Dame. On the night of my birthday, I took a night cruise down the Seine. Here is me, and the blurry yellow thing in the background is the Eiffel tower.
Paris was wonderful, but I also enjoyed seeing Dijon. They have a superstition in the village that if you rub the owl carved into the side of the church, you can make a wish. When I was posing for this picture, and old man walked by me and explained this to me. In French (it was then translated). Several other people also walked by, and touched the owl, clearly a normal part of their routine.
This is now officially called my "American" pose. Because obviously only an American could get this excited about walking through a village.


I was lucky to see many other things in France as well, such as tiny wineries in little villages. I learned the French eat a lot of cheese, and drink a lot of coffee, but that I don't really like French coffee. Overall, I can't wait to see France again, but I think it would help a lot if I could speak French.

























1 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Blogger D. said...

Wow! What an amazing trip! I really need to sign up for a Europe conference next year. :) Go work-paying-for-travel!

Oh, and the coat looks *perfect* in the snow! Super cute. (I love that it has a belt.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home