"American is boring.... but it's sanitary!"
The title of this post was a quote from my and my co-worker. I was commenting on how excited I was to do and see new things in Malaysia. He pointed out that we tend to get sick less often in the US. My trip to Malaysia was pretty fantastic. Since it was so last minute, I didn't worry about it, and other people actually prepared my presentations for me. So, other then the horrible trip there and back (it basically takes 24 hours to get there), I had a great time.
The first exciting thing I did was eat at a banana lead style restaurant, where basically, you eat Indian food with your hands off a banana leaf. It was fun, and I got to drink out of a coconut! Honestly, though, I wasn't totally excited by the food itself. It was just OK.
I took a picture of me outside the office building. I took this same picture last year. Which only showed me that I had gained weight since the last time I'd been here. Stupid being married making you gain weight!
The second night we were there, we were able to experience a Chinese Malaysian tradition (there aren't many). Basically, for Chinese new year, you get this carefully prepared dish with noodles, crackers and fish.
Then, everyone at the table has to mix it together, in order to "mix in the good luck!" Then you eat it, which honestly, wasn't that great.
When it was time to have fun, the first place we went was the Batu caves. This is a hindu temple. The really cool thing about my job is that I get to hang out with people from different countries. In the picture below, I'm standing with two gentlemen from Korea, one from Pakistan, and one from North India. The gentleman from North Indian was able to explain all the details of the temple to us. He was better than a tour guide! Also, from the picture below, you can see that I am "Asian height" but Koreans are abnormally tall.
Climbing up to the temple cave took awhile.
Now, I was told there would monkeys at this site. I looked all over the caves for them. Finally, we found them!
The weren't in the caves... they were by the statue of the monkey god! Of course.
After the Hindu temple, we went to a Chinese temple. It was still Chinese new year, so there were a lot of figure placed outside to celebrate the year of the rat.
That night, our employee who lives in Malaysia took me around. First we went to the part of KL that the British used to hang in. Did you know Malaysia has only had its Independence for 50 year years?
My last day we went to the new capital of Malaysia, Putrajaya. There, we got to visit a Mosque, which is the first time I have been able to visit one. And by visit, I mean, enter the foyer. Obviously, you can't enter the Mosque unless you are a practicing Muslim.

1 Comments:
I had a dream that you, Katie and I all met up in a bar somewhere in Germany. And then after that we crossed some water (it could have been a river, it could have been an ocean - my dream was unclear on this), and went to Katie's place to hang out.
Post a Comment
<< Home