Squash and Kale Risotto
Squash and Kale RisottoFrom Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites

Lisa’s comments: Use a non-stick pan. When it comes to adding the liquid to the rice, I added the volumes they mentioned, but did it over a different time frame. I think my rice was slow at absorbing water. Also, I would have cut the squash smaller than they suggested. I think less than half an inch would have been good, but it depends on how chunky you want the squash to be.
Ingredients

4.5 to 5 cups of vegetable stock
1 cup minced onions
2 to 3 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (Risotto rice)
½ cup dry white wine (optional, I didn’t use it)
2 cups peeled and cubed winter squash (3/4 to 1 inch cubes)
3 cups stemmed and chopped kale, packed (about ½ lb before stemming)
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
1. Bring the vegetable stock to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer.
2. Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, suite the onions in 2 teaspoons of the oil for about 5 minutes, until softened but not browned. Add more oil, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
3. Using a wooden spoon to avoid breaking the grains, add the rice and stir until it is well coated with oil.
4. Add the wine, if using.
5. When it is absorbed, ladle in 2 ½ cups of summering stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring frequently for 2 to 3 minutes between each addition, until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
6. Add the squash and the kale and stir.
7. Continue adding ½ cup of the broth ever few minutes for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until all of the stock has been added and the rice is tender but firm. Add the nutmeg, lemon peel, and salt and pepper to taste.
8. Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the cheese.
1 cup minced onions
2 to 3 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (Risotto rice)
½ cup dry white wine (optional, I didn’t use it)
2 cups peeled and cubed winter squash (3/4 to 1 inch cubes)
3 cups stemmed and chopped kale, packed (about ½ lb before stemming)
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
1. Bring the vegetable stock to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer.
2. Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, suite the onions in 2 teaspoons of the oil for about 5 minutes, until softened but not browned. Add more oil, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
3. Using a wooden spoon to avoid breaking the grains, add the rice and stir until it is well coated with oil.
4. Add the wine, if using.
5. When it is absorbed, ladle in 2 ½ cups of summering stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring frequently for 2 to 3 minutes between each addition, until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
6. Add the squash and the kale and stir.
7. Continue adding ½ cup of the broth ever few minutes for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until all of the stock has been added and the rice is tender but firm. Add the nutmeg, lemon peel, and salt and pepper to taste.
8. Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the cheese.

1 Comments:
So now I get why I haven't seen you in weeks. You're busy cooking all the time! All that squash looks wonderful.
I made waffles Saturday. That was a big deal. Then I made Neal go to the store to buy bread and lunchmeat. I am that lazy.
Post a Comment
<< Home