My Grandpa
This is an article in the Farmington Daily times about my grandpa. What is amazing is I didn't know he was even doing this. He doesn't want people to give him praise; he just wants to do what he can.The spirit of giving
FARMINGTON — A single partridge in a pear tree boosts the Christmas spirit, but it takes 56 frozen turkeys to do the same thing on Thanksgiving.
Turkey was the only thing on Henry Valdin's shopping list last week. It was the fourth such list since the 89-year-old Farmington resident began in 2003 to provide Thanksgiving dinner to needy families.
"It started as a personal deal," he said. "The first year I bought what I could. Now I get donations and buy a lot more."
Valdin shuffled through Safeway armed with a wad of cash donated by congregation members at First Presbyterian Church. Although he relies on a walker to move around, his journey from the front door to the meat department took less than a minute.
This was a man with a purpose.
His mission: to buy as many frozen turkeys as possible.
"Thanksgiving is a family time, and I look forward to any excuse to get together as family," he said. "This is a way I can help people and families who wouldn't have a Thanksgiving."
Fifty-six frozen turkeys is a hefty order, but Safeway employees know the routine. Seconds after Valdin entered the East Main store, employees were poised for the yearly ritual.
"He's been here for the last four years," head clerk Ann Boak said. "He calls ahead of time so we expect him, and everything is ready to go."
"Ready" means the turkeys are boxed and weighed, Boak said. When Valdin arrives, he needs only to pay for the turkeys and load them into his truck.
But first, the turkey parade, Valdin said. It's a long walk from the meat department to the check-out lane. Shoppers cleared the aisles and Valdin and his son-in-law, Carter Herrera, followed a meat department employee pushing a cart weighed down with poultry.
The cost: $279.64 for 840 pounds — about 100 pounds more than Valdin bought last year.
"Perfect," he said, pocketing the change — 44 cents.
Valdin, a Navy veteran, retired from the Magma Copper Company in Superior, Ariz., after working for 45 years. He moved to Farmington after his wife died in 2001. Since then, he's donated to the community every month and makes special efforts during the holidays.
"I enjoy doing this because I'm kind of handicapped doing anything else" he said. "People don't realize we have hungry people right here. I'm glad a can help a little."
Valdin donates the turkeys to ECHO Food Bank for use in Thanksgiving meal boxes. The packaged meals are distributed to hungry families throughout the county, said Vicki Metheny, food programs supervisor for ECHO.
"It makes a huge difference when we get turkeys in this quantity," she said. "This is impressive. This is 56 families who get to eat. What it means is we don't have to turn anyone away."

2 Comments:
That's so cool.
Wow your grandpa is awesome!!
Post a Comment
<< Home