Tuesday, October 18, 2005

How does my garden grow?

Sunday I finally decided to plant the bulbs I ordered from a Holland based company. I ordered three types of flowers, which I picked based on their ability to do well in this climate as well as the type of flower they produced. My plan was to plant the bulbs, then to go to the gym.

In the front of the house there is an empty flowerbed. My mom said I could use about ¼ of it because she had stuff she wanted to plant. I don’t see when she is going to find the time to get around to it, because she keeps telling me she doesn’t have time to plant anything. I think she is just still a little upset that I accidentally dug up a plant I wasn’t supposed to, although I still maintain that that wasn’t my fault. (The two plants I was supposed to be able to distinguish between were so overgrown, they looked like one plant!) I was able to plant about half of the bulbs in that small area, but I needed more space.

My mom suggested I use the area around the mailbox. I thought this was a good idea, because the Iris plants that were currently there were doing very well, although they weren’t flowering. However, once I got to where the Irises were, and started to dig them up, I realized this was going to be a very hard job. These Irises were totally overgrown as well! Their roots were interlocked! They were glued to the ground! I needed a bigger shovel!

Two hours, and one minor hand injury later, I had dug up over half of the Irises and planted the rest of my bulbs. I cannot believe I have to wait until spring/summer to see the results! I hope they grow. And flower. I’m kind of nervous.

And somehow I managed to pull every muscle in my legs doing this. When I walk, I look like I just got off a horse!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home