Chicken
Recently, I learned how to roast a chicken. Everyone said it was easy, so I thought I would give it a try. It is easy! The only things you need special are: 1) A chicken 2) a roasting rack, which you can get for $20-$200 3) a thermometer ($3- $100) 4) seasonings.1) Preheat oven to 350. Be sure to start this process 3-5 hours ahead of time you actually want the chicken done. One 4.5 lb chicken will take anywhere from 3-5 hours to cook. I just don't get why it's different every time.
2) Get chicken roasting rack.
3) Line pan with aluminum foil.

4) Prepare stuff to stick in chicken (I use a lemon, an orange and an onion.)
5) Pour yourself a small drink, because soon you will be sticking your hand in a chicken's butt (data not shown).
6) Prepare vegetables for cooking underneath the chicken.

7) Place them underneath where the chicken will sit.

8) Prepare rub. Here are the ingredients for the rub:
9) In two bowls, or two Tupperwares if you are lame like me, prepare one rub, and one bowl of salt. One bowl should just have salt, the other needs to have a mixture of all the above ingredients. How much of each? Well, the total has to be enough to cover a chicken. I would say use mostly salt and garlic powder and Greek seasonings, less sage, even less paprika, and just a dash of pepper.
10) Get chicken. I recommend:
11) Open the bag, take out chicken. Reach into chicken's butt and take out the neck, liver and all other gross parts. There is a lot of fat in the opening, so cut that off. Once you have taken out the random pieces of chicken, take the salt in the bowl, and rub the inside of the chicken. Just the cavity. Then, stuff the cavity with the lemon, orange and onion.
12) Gentle massage the chicken with oil. Olive oil. Just a little.
13) Take the rub, and really massage the chicken all over. If any place is left uncovered by rub, add garlic powder. Or Greek seasonings.
14) Place chicken on rack.
15) Insert thermometer parallel to breastbone. Don't let it actually touch the bone.
17) After an hour, cover chicken with aluminum foil so it doesn't burn.
18) When the chicken reaches 185 degrees, take it out!
19) Let it rest a little. It's tired.
20) Find someone who knows how to carve a chicken, and make them do it!


2 Comments:
You are so domestic!!! Looks yummy.
You can do beef roasts too, the same way. I like using thyme.
Very nice! Susheem and I love roasting stuff, but we still can't carve! It's pretty funny. We enjoy cooking it and eating it, but the part right in between is killer.
Post a Comment
<< Home